Summary of responsibilities
The Library Director provides leadership and serves as the library’s primary public representative. The Director is expected to represent the library within the community, develop programs, develop collections, manage staff and volunteers, maintain library facilities, provide budgeting information, and ensure daily operations of the library within budget guidelines.
· High school diploma and ability to learn basic library skills. Two years college preferred.
· Ability to attain certification within 2 years of employment
· Strong technology skills, including computer, internet, and security.
· Good typing or keyboarding skills
· Strong interpersonal skills
· Ability to problem solve and learn on the job
· Work up to 22 hours per week
· Find a substitute from a list of people approved by the Board
· Offer prompt, efficient, impartial, courteous and friendly service to everyone
· Complete all patron driven duties in a timely manner. These include checking in and out materials, answering questions and requests by phone, Facebook, email, etc., processing interlibrary loans, shelving returned items, issuing library cards, collecting fines
· Select/weed material collection to meet the needs and interests of the community, while following the guidelines established by the Material Selection Policy within the limits of the annual budget and with approval of the Board
· Attend monthly board meetings and prepare and submit reports as directed by the Board. Prepare monthly agenda with input of the Board president
· Serve as liaison to the Friends of the Wyoming Library and attend the quarterly meeting of the Friends
· Attend city council meeting at least once per year, more times if requested by Board or city council
· Prepare and submit reports as required by the State Library
· Plan and execute publicity program through various media outlets, including the library’s website, subject to Board approval
· Plan, promote and execute special library programs for children and adults, such as summer reading, story hour, displays, classes, demonstrations, speakers, subject to Board approval
· Provide procedural manual for use by staff, substitute staff or interim librarian
· Prepare annual budget and submit to the Board for approval
· Identify and pursue additional funding sources through grants, donations, etc. to support the library’s mission and future
· Work with the City Clerk of Wyoming to maintain all financial records, complete payroll, pay bills and present budgets in a timely fashion
· Maintain all aspects of library technology such as computers, software, security, et.al for optimal usage, and upgrade, repair or replace as the budget allows with Board approval
· Maintain usage of current software being utilized for library systems while evaluating and presenting the board new options to improve library services to patrons
· Maintain library building and property by doing housekeeping chores such as dusting, vacuuming, snow removal, garbage removal, etc.
· Contact appropriate company or contractor to handle the maintenance of the furnace, air conditioner, doors, roof, windows, et.al with the knowledge and consent of the Board
· Attain and maintain librarian certification
· Maintain library accreditation by preparing the library to meet standards outlined in “In Service to Iowa” and keeping the board apprised of plans
· Maintain posted library hours. In case of emergency or inclement weather, the Board president(1st) or other board member must approve the change in hours
· Duties will include all of the above plus any other task which might arise during the course of a workday
· Dependable transportation
· Able to lift up to 50 lbs.
· Able to climb, stoop, kneel, crouch, crawl, reach, lift, grasp, talk, hear and handle repetitive motions
· Infrequent availability outside of normal library hours
Hi! My name is Lucy Johnson and I have been the Wyoming Public Library director for 1 year. I graduated in May of 2020 from Northern Illinois University with my Bachelors in History with a medieval studies concentration! I am currently attending Valdosta State University for my Masters degree in Library and Information Science.
I have always loved reading, espcially fantasy books! I love watching horror movies and playing video games! I listen to true crime podcasts and love to crochet in my freetime
My email is email@example.com